RANGERS stars hit out at Celtic advert claiming Old Firm derby will be first ever meeting between two sides; David Robertson says Rangers should have sold to Robert Sarver; Craig Gordon plays down Celtic favourites tag, plus the rest of today’s football news and gossip
Robertson: Sarver rejection a ‘missed opportunity’
David Robertson has criticised Rangers for rejecting Robert Sarver’s takeover bid earlier this month and believes it proves that the current board are not acting in the best interests of the Ibrox club.
Former Rangers defender Robertson, speaking for the first time about his role in American banker Sarver’s attempts to buy the club, expressed his dismay at what he says was a “missed opportunity”.
“I know it was a fantastic opportunity for Rangers and I’m sure there could have been ways to make it work,” said Robertson. “There’s the shareholding piece of it, that didn’t work out, but if those guys really had Rangers at heart then they would have tried to find a way to make it work.” (Scotsman)
Rangers legends slam Celtic supporters over ad
Rangers legends have slammed a group of Celtic supporters for intensifying the atmosphere ahead of next Sunday’s League Cup semi-final by taking out a full-page newspaper advert insisting it is the first meeting of the two clubs.
Alex Rae, now working as assistant to Alex McLeish at KRC Genk in Belgium, said: “Listen, that’s just provoking things. If that’s what they get their kicks from on the day, maybe it will take away from their performance!
“Seriously, good luck to them, they can conduct themselves like that if they want.”
McLeish, who was back in the Rangers dugout yesterday running a select side, said: “For me Celtic are missing Rangers. You see empty spaces at Celtic Park. Back in the day when Martin O’Neill was there and they had a superb team we did too.” (Scotsman)
Celtic’s Craig Gordon plays down favourites tag
Craig Gordon has attempted to play down Celtic’s status as overwhelming favourites to win the Old Firm League Cup semi-final, insisting beleaguered Rangers still pose a serious threat to the Scottish champions.
“Rangers still have enough quality in their team to win,” said Gordon. “So we will be looking at ourselves and our preparation for the game.
“It’s not just experience Rangers have, with players like Lee McCulloch and Kenny Miller, but good quality players too and we’ll have to be wary of that, as well as causing our own problems for them.” (Scotsman)
SCOTSMAN TABLET AND MOBILE APPS
Aberdeen seal signing of Graeme Shinnie
Graeme Shinnie has agreed a pre-contract deal to sign for Aberdeen - beating Birmingham City to the Inverness left-back. The Aberdeen-born player has agreed a three-year deal with Derek McInnes’ side. The 23-year-old is an Aberdeen fan - a factor that worked in the Pittodrie side’s favour during negotiations.
In a statement, Aberdeen confirmed the news, saying: “We are delighted to announce that Graeme Shinnie has signed a pre-contract agreement and will join on a three-year deal in June.
“The 23-year-old chose to join Aberdeen despite offers from English Championship clubs.” (The Scottish Sun)
FA Cup exploits will boost Kris Commons fund for Lennon
Neil Lennon’s Bolton side has been boosted by their FA Cup exploits against Liverpool to the extent that they could now use the cash they’ll earn from the replay to prise Kris Commons away from Celtic.
Bolton are competing with Leicester and Crystal Palace, as well as Major League Soccer sides, for the player’s signature.
But an additional funding boost could make Celtic more amenable to a deal - they rejected an offer from Bolton of around £250,000 at the start of the month, which is some way below Celtic’s valuation of the player. (Daily Express)
Notts County interested in Rangers’ Nicky Clark
Notts County are considering a move for Rangers striker Nicky Clark, according to their manager Shaun Derry. Clark, who is struggling to get regular playing time at Ibrox, is on a shortlist of strikers the Meadow Lane boss has drawn up to boost his side’s firepower.
Derry said: “We haven’t spoken to Rangers and we haven’t spoken to the agent yet. We are just looking ar our options.”
The former Queen of the South striker has two years remaining on his contract. (Daily Record)