Rangers take ex-EPL duo on trial but no Novo deal

Mamady Sidibe, left, and Hameur Bouazza. Pictures: PA
Mamady Sidibe, left, and Hameur Bouazza. Pictures: PA
Share this article
52
Have your say

RANGERS have taken two former Barclays Premier League players on trial as Ally McCoist continues looking for potential additions to his squad.

Mamady Sidibe and Hameur Bouazza joined the Light Blues squad for training this morning at Murray Park after arriving in Glasgow last night.

Nacho Novo: No deal. Picture: PA

Nacho Novo: No deal. Picture: PA

Both players are represented by Gregory Dakad, the same agent who looks after new Gers defender Bilel Mohsni.

Mali international forward Sidibe left Stoke last season after eight seasons.

Bouazza, meanwhile, is available as a free agent and has extensive English experience having represented seven clubs there including Fulham and Blackpool.

No talks have taken place as yet and McCoist is simply keen to assess the pair before he considers whether to take things any further.

He said: “The boys are two players who Gregory looks after and they’ll be well known to people who know their English and European football.

“They’ve just come in to have a look at our place and also for us to have a wee look at them. This is their first day as they came into the city last night.

“They trained this morning and they were absolutely fine. They’re obviously not up to the same levels of fitness as our lads are but that’s totally understandable.

“It would be crazy of us not to take the option to bring other people in and have a look at them after the success we’ve had with Bilel’s trial. Both players have good pedigree.”

McCoist could be tempted to field the two new trialists this midweek.

Rangers will travel to Dundee on Wednesday night for a friendly at Dens Park and the manager refused to rule out involving them.

Novo deal ‘unlikely’

However, a deal for former Rangers favourite Nacho Novo looks unlikely.

The 34-year-old Spaniard today confirmed no contract offer had been made.

The former Dundee frontman won three SPL titles with Rangers but quit the club in 2010.

He is now without a club after leaving Spanish second-tier side Huesca last month but has spent the last few days training with McCoist’s men at Murray Park.

However, he said: “I don’t think the Rangers thing is going to happen to be honest.

“It would have been my preferred option and the club knows that. But if nothing has happened by now it’s not going to happen ever.

“I always said I wanted to come back and finish my career here but it’s not up to me. You can’t have everything you want and that is life.”