Michael Laudrup has blasted the manner of his sacking by Swansea and has said he is taking legal advice over the dismissal.
The Dane was sacked on Tuesday following a poor run of form by Swansea, 12 months after leading the club to the first major trophy in their history. The League Managers Association (LMA) is now writing to the club to ask for the reasons for his sacking.
On the day his temporary replacement, club stalwart Garry Monk, held his first press conference, Laudrup released a statement which read: “I am deeply disappointed to have been dismissed as manager of Swansea City. In particular, the manner in which it happened and the actions the club has taken since notifying me in the briefest of letters which gave no reasons why such hasty and final action was deemed necessary. I am, of course taking legal advice and the LMA have already written to the club asking for a proper explanation as to why I was summarily dismissed.”
Laudrup revealed his upset at being denied the chance to thank the players in person for their efforts under him. He added: “The club has informed me that I cannot visit the training ground to say my farewells to the players so I do that now through this statement. The players have been fantastic and their contribution under the very professional guidance of my coaching staff has been absolutely fundamental to the club’s recent successes. Three members of my staff have also been dismissed.
“Whilst league results have been disappointing of late, we are still 12th in the table and it is there for all to see the fine margins in the league this season in terms of points that separate 11 clubs. Although we have been unfortunate with injuries, I believe our league form would have improved and that we would have benefited from the forthcoming Europa League and FA Cup matches.”
Swansea have picked up just six points from their past ten matches and are two points above the relegation zone heading into this weekend’s derby showdown with Cardiff.
Monk did his best to fend off some awkward questions from the press yesterday. One related to defender Chico Flores, who was involved in a training ground bust-up with Monk last month. “Chico will be involved in the squad, zero problems whatsoever,” said Monk. “We had a talk today. Things have been blown up and we have had a laugh about it. He is a good man.”