Second Division: Alloa consolidate second place


SECOND-placed Alloa did all they could to put some pressure on idle Second Division leaders Queen of the South by defeating visitors Stranraer thanks to a three-goal 13-minute second-half spell in a 4-1 success.

The Doonhamers’ game at Brechin City was a casualty of the weather and Alloa moved on to the same 21 games played mark, but remain a hefty 16 points behind.

The Wasps led when Ryan McCord shot home from the edge of the box just before the half-hour, with the Stair Park visitors drawing level on 59 minutes when Grant Gallagher hit home from a similar distance.

Alloa went back ahead within a minute when Mitchel Megginson headed home a cross by Darren Young and Megginson created his side’s third goal midway through the second half when his pass released Graeme Holmes, who scored from 18 yards. Holmes then grabbed his second to seal the win.

Alloa boss Paul Hartley said: “We face Queens next week so it is good to go into it with confidence from a good win. We were a bit sluggish in the first half but much better in the last half hour.

“We have created a bit of a gap in second place and I have to commend the boys for our home form which has seen us unbeaten here for several months.”

Stranraer manager Stephen Aitken said: “We gave a mixed performance where we were really good for the first hour and then fell out of things totally.”

Arbroath took over visitors Forfar’s fourth place by defeating the Loons 3-1 at Gayfield, where debutant Graham Bayne scored a double.

Lee Sibanda gave the Red Lichties the lead on eight minutes and Bayne netted from close range to double the lead before half-time.

Bayne netted again ten minutes into the second half, with Forfar pulling one back when Iain Campbell converted a penalty after Gavin Swankie was fouled in the box.

Hopes of a stirring comeback disappeared when Willie Robertson was dismissed 11 minutes from time for an overly strong challenge on Colin Hamilton.

East Fife and Ayr United produced a roller-coaster of a 3-3 game at New Bayview, where the Honest Men led by two early goals, only to be behind at half-time.

Michael Moffat ran through to score on five minutes and Kyle McAusland curled home a second 12 minutes later.

David White headed in to bring the Fifers alive and Paul McManus scored twice before the break to have them winning before the break.Cameron MacDonald, who was playing as a trialist for the Honest Men, levelled five minutes from time with a fine drive from 25 yards out.




Back to the top of the page