DCSIMG

Celtic told ‘no’ over safe standing proposal

The club were looking to adapt a section in their 60,000 seater stadium. Picture: Stephen Mansfield

The club were looking to adapt a section in their 60,000 seater stadium. Picture: Stephen Mansfield

CELTIC have been denied the opportunity to construct a safe-standing area for spectators at Celtic Park.

The reigning SPFL Premiership champions have been working on the proposal for over two years as they hoped to bring an alternative and, what they believe to be, safer matchday experience for the supporters.

However, a meeting on Wednesday of the Safety Advisory Group decided against granting permission to install the necessary requirements.

Celtic have hit back at the decision in a statement released after the outcome, citing mixed messages as a particular cause for consternation.

It read: “Celtic Football Club is extremely disappointed and concerned that approval could not be given at today’s meeting of the Safety Advisory Group (SAG) to grant permission to install rail seating at Celtic Park, designed to allow safe standing by supporters.

“Surprisingly, we have also today been informed by the Safety Advisory Group, chaired by Glasgow City Council, that this may be a matter for the Scottish Government, and yet we have previously been told by the Scottish Government that this is a decision which must be taken locally at council level.

“Spectator-safety at Celtic Park is of paramount importance and we believe the proposals we have made would significantly enhance safety at matches. This is a vitally important spectator-safety issue. It is also an opportunity for Glasgow and for Scottish football to lead the UK in this area.

“We do not understand the rationale for today’s decision and in an attempt to seek clarity on this matter, we have requested a full written explanation for the judgement made. Once this has been received we will be in a position to communicate further with our supporters.”

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page