Football briefs: Leigh Griffiths | Rob Jones | Stephane Sessegnon

Share this article
0
Have your say

LEIGH Griffiths may have a clearer idea if Wolves definitely want him next season when manager Dean Saunders sits down with chairman Steve Morgan and chief executive Jez Moxey to discuss the club’s player pool for 2013-14.

Saunders said last month he wanted Griffiths back after the striker’s prolific loan spell at Hibs, but he admitted yesterday that a host of players would leave should the club drop into the third tier of English football this weekend. Wolves are odds-on favourites to suffer back-to-back relegations as they go into the final round of fixtures three points adrift of safety.

Kevin Doyle, Roger Johnson, Bakary Sako, Sylvan Ebanks-Blake, Stephen Hunt and Jamie O’Hara are just some of the high-profile names who may leave, and Griffiths too might be on his way – despite Saunders’ hopes of bringing him back from Easter Road.

Saunders said: “I’d imagine a lot of the players won’t want to stay. Once we get through this week and get to the end of the season, we’ll have a meeting – myself, Jez and the chairman – and we’ll draw a plan up.”

• Former Hibernian captain Rob Jones has signed a new two-year contract with newly-crowned League One champions Doncaster Rovers.

Central defender Jones, 33, who made 118 appearances for Hibs between June 2006 and July 2009 and skippered them to glory in the 2007 League Cup final, fills a player-coach role at the Keepmoat Stadium and is now tied to the club until the summer of 2015.

Jones was involved in Saturday’s remarkable championship-clinching win at Brentford, sealed with a 95th minute winner seconds after the home team missed a penalty, and he was last week named as the club’s Player Of The Year.

“It’s been a good season for me on the field and off,” said Jones, who was handed the coaching role when Dean Saunders quit as manager to take charge at Wolves in January.

• Sunderland forward Stephane Sessegnon will miss the rest of the season after failing in his appeal against the three-match ban for his sending-off against Aston Villa on Monday night, the FA has confirmed.

Referee Lee Probert issued a straight red card for Sessegnon’s second-half challenge on Yacouba Sylla during the Black Cats’ 6-1 defeat.

The 28-year-old will miss Sunderland’s remaining games against Stoke, Southampton and Tottenham as Paolo Di Canio’s men battle for Premier League survival.