Mark Warburton and Rangers fail to reach agreement over new deal; Celtic were offered Zlatan Ibrahimovic for £2 million in 2001 and Israeli defender rejects Rangers offer
Talks break down over new deal for Warburton
TALKS between Rangers and Mark Warburton over a new contract for the ex-Brentford boss have reportedly stalled, according to reports.
However, the club insists that Warburton, who led the Ibrox side to the Championship title and Petrofac Cup glory last season, is committed to Rangers.
Warburton is contracted to the club until June 2018, but has been linked to a number of English Premier League and Championship sides. (Daily Express)
Celtic ‘were offered Zlatan for £2m’
CELTIC were apparently offered Zlatan Ibrahimovic for just £2 million back in 2001, a former SFA chief has revealed.
Gordon Smith claims that the Hoops were offered the chance to sign the eccentric striker in 2001 for a modest fee - but Celtic boss Martin O’Neill ‘took too long’ to make a decision.
Smith said he was running a training camp in Cyprus while working as an agent, and spotted a 19-year-old Ibrahimovic playing for Malmo - but when he gave Celtic the nod, the Parkhead side delayed making a decision and the Swede ended up at Ajax. (Various)
Israeli international rebuffs Rangers offer
ISRAELI international Eitan Tibi has turned down an offer from Rangers and has signed a new deal with Maccabi Tel Aviv.
Tibi had been made an offer by the Ibrox club, but turned it down to extend his stay at the Tel Aviv outfit.
The 28-year-old has had spells at Beitar Jerusalem, Hapoel Ra’anana and Ironi Kiryat Shmona among others. (Sunday Post)
Hoops close in on Graham
CELTIC are reportedly on the brink of sealing a deal for free agent Danny Graham.
The former Sunderland and Swansea striker is also wanted by Blackburn Rovers, where he spent the second half of last season on loan, but it appears that the opportunity to team up once more with former Swans boss Brendan Rodgers could convince Graham to head north. (Evening Times)
Rangers and Man City track ex-St Mirren star Mooy
RANGERS and Manchester City are both after Australian midfielder Aaron Mooy, who was attached to St Mirren between 2010 and 2012.
City are keen to take the 25-year-old to the Etihad and loan him out to an unnamed Belgian club for the 2016/17 season while Rangers have been linked with the Melbourne City star since last month.
Mooy, was named in the A-League’s Team of the Season for the most recent campaign and helped Western Sydney Wanderers to the A-League title in 2013.
However, City could benefit as Melbourne City are part of the Manchester-based firm that owns Manchester City and New York City. (Various)
Izaguirre linked with Honduras return
EMILIO Izaguirre could be on his way back home, after Honduran side Motagua became the latest team to be linked with the defender.
The Celtic left back was tipped to leave Parkhead, especially with the rise of Kieran Tierney, but the 30-year-old has insisted he wants to stay and fight for his spot under Brendan Rodgers.
However, Motagua assistant boss Hugo Caballero believes Izaguirre would be interested in a return to the club where he spent seven years. (Daily Mail)
Edinburgh star opens up over Hibs release
EDINBURGH City defender Joe Mbu has revealed he was released by Hibs for being too small.
The hefty stopper, who started out as a left winger, said: “I started off at Hibs and really enjoyed it at the time. But I wasn’t getting a game in front of guys who already, at the age of 14, were 6’1 and 6’2.
“I never sprouted until I was about 19. I liked Donald Park a lot when I was at Hibs and he tried hard to get me to stay at Hibs but I got a bit disillusioned. Not a single player came through from that batch. That’s what’s disappointing.
“There were some decent players in the team, it’s just unfortunate because at that time it was ‘if you’re not big enough you’re not going to play’. If only I’d sprouted a few years earlier.” (CCP)
Lennon claims he can improve Paul Hanlon
NEIL Lennon believes he can help take Paul Hanlon’s game to a new level and confirmed that the out-of-contract 26-year-old is close to agreeing a new deal with his boyhood club after weighing up his options over the past few weeks.
“We’re pretty confident that Paul is going to re-sign so that would be good news,” Lennon said. “He’s experienced now because he’s been here for his whole career. I think it’s important to have those type of players.
“He’s getting better every year but he’s still relatively young so he’s still got his best years ahead of him. I still think there’s a bit of work in him, but hopefully we can get the best out of him.” (Evening News)
Dons linked with Joe Lewis
ABERDEEN could make a move for freed Cardiff goalkeeper Joe Lewis.
The Dons are on the lookout for a goalkeeper, with Derek McInnes having released Scott Brown, and seen loanees Danny Ward and Adam Collin return to their parent clubs.
While the Dons have Danny Rogers on their books, it is believed McInnes reckons he can offer the 6ft 5in Lewis regular first-team football. (Scottish Sun)