THE SPFL yesterday unveiled radical new plans to shake up the Scottish League Cup competition.
There are eight stages of the revamped tournament:
• A new group stage format for the first round.
• Eight groups of five teams, playing each other once in round-robin format.
• Group games to take place on 16, 20, 23, 27 and 30 July.
• Group stage involves all 38 SPFL teams not involved in European qualifiers, plus winners of both Highland League and Lowland League.
• Group stage draw seeded and, where practicable, regionalised. One Premiership team in each group.
• Drawn matches in group stage go to penalty shoot-out, with bonus point for winners.
• Eight group winners and four best runners-up progress to second round where they are joined by the four teams involved in European football.
• Straight knockout formula, as presently exists, from the round of 16 with no seeded draws.