Harry Redknapp has quit as QPR manager, claiming his need to undergo knee replacement surgery would dent the club’s Premier League survival fight.
Rangers chairman Tony Fernandes accepted his manager’s resignation just a day after tweeting there would be “no more cheque book” as the transfer window closed on Monday.
Redknapp had been under intense pressure for months with QPR languishing in a relegation dogfight, fending off what he claimed was a club insider trying to undermine his position. He continuously claimed to have the backing of his chairman despite being rumoured to be one game from the sack on three separate occasions this season.
Joe Jordan and Glenn Hoddle have also left their coaching positions at Loftus Road following Redknapp’s departure while Les Ferdinand, the club’s head of football operations, has taken temporary charge, supported by coach Chris Ramsey.
Former Tottenham manager Tim Sherwood is the early favourite to replace Redknapp and link up again with Ferdinand, who was part of his Spurs coaching staff.
“Sadly I need immediate surgery on my knee which is going to stop me from doing my job in the coming weeks,” said Redknapp in a QPR statement.
“It means I won’t be able to be out on the training pitch every day, and if I can’t give 100 per cent I feel it’s better for someone else to take over the reins.
“My relationship with Tony Fernandes has been one of the highlights of my footballing career and I wish the club every success. I am confident they will survive in the Premier League this year. I have had such a fantastic time at QPR. I would like to thank the board, the players and all my staff, and especially the supporters who have been absolutely fantastic to me since I arrived at the club for their tremendous support.”
Redknapp had continuously claimed he needed to add a host of January reinforcements to his squad in his bid to help QPR avoid the drop. Fernandes seemed to go against the grain with a tweet on the final day of the transfer window, however.
The QPR boss tweeted: “No more cheque book. We have good players. Bought all the players manager asked for in summer. Our players not mercenaries. Good guys.”
While Redknapp’s imminent surgery will certainly put him out of commission for some time, there was clear strain behind the scenes between manager and board at Loftus Road.
Fernandes still wished Redknapp well in accepting the manager’s resignation, however.
“I would like to take this opportunity to thank Harry for everything he has done for QPR during his time in charge,” said Fernandes in QPR’s statement.
“We part on good terms and I’d personally like to wish him all the best for the future.” Redknapp’s season was beset by intrigue and outrage, with the 67-year-old rowing publicly with his own players. He claimed misfit midfielder Adel Taarabt was “about three stone overweight” following QPR’s 3-2 home defeat to Liverpool. The player then posed for pictures to prove his fitness a day later, before Fernandes publicly demand the duo call a truce.