Jesus Navas insists he never had any second thoughts about choosing to join Manchester City – a decision he says he made some time ago.
Sevilla confirmed late on Monday night they had accepted an offer from City for the 27-year-old Spain winger, with reports suggesting the deal could be worth £24 million.
There had been speculation that Real Madrid were keen on his services but Navas, who has spent his entire career to date with local club Sevilla, said he had made up his mind on a switch to City long ago.
Speaking yesterday, Navas was quoted as saying by the Spanish media: “We’ve been talking with Manchester City for four months. The decision is taken.
“There had been rumours [about Real Madrid] but Manchester City were in from the start and I had decided some time ago. It’s a good project and it was the moment to make the step.
“I’m going from Sevilla, which is a very nice place, and I’m going to a great club in England.”
He added on Sevilla’s official website: “It was my choice. I’m very happy with the decision. I wanted to continue growing there and they’ve put a lot of faith in me and I want to continue doing well there.
“It’s difficult because I’ve spent many years enjoying playing in front of these fans but I’ve made my decision, I wanted to go there. It’s a good step for me and I never had any hesitation. I want to thank the [Sevilla] fans and the club for all that they’ve given me.”
Navas is widely expected to be joined at City by ex-Malaga coach Manuel Pellegrini, with the Chilean favourite to take over the vacant managerial post at the Etihad Stadium.
Navas, who is on Spain duty for the Confederations Cup in Brazil, said: “I don’t know Pellegrini personally but I’ve heard good things about him. He’s a great coach.”
Meanwhile, City have enhanced their international presence with a new partnership with South African club Black Aces FC. The three-year arrangement will see Black Aces, based in Mpumalanga, become City’s “official regional school of football partner”.