In just under a year’s time Scotland will stage one of the world’s biggest sporting events, here we look at some of the key numbers that will be reached during the games.
1. Glasgow 2014 will be the 20th Commonwealth Games to be held.
2. 71 Nations and Territories will take part in the Games over 11 days of competition
3. The Games will feature 261 medal events across 17 sports.
4. 6,500 athletes and officials will be located in the Athletes’ Village in the East End of Glasgow during the Games.
5. The Queens Baton Relay will visit all 71 Commonwealth nations and territories before travelling the length and breadth of Scotland on its way to its final destination – the Opening Ceremony.
6. A worldwide audience of more than 1.5 billion people will watch the Games on television.
7. One million tickets will go on public sale on August 19 2013.
8. Up to 15,000 volunteers, from chaperones to physiotherapists will be selected to help ensure all aspects of the Games run smoothly.
9. The Athletes Village will feature a dining area which will serve approximately 390,000 meals during the Games.
10. The surface at Hampden Park will be temporarily raised by six feet to make the base wide enough for an international standard athletics track and field which will play host to some of the best athletes in the world.