New York police officer in ‘cannibal cop’ kidnap plot

The Federal Courthouse in Manhattan where the trial of Gilberto Valle took place. Picture: Getty
The Federal Courthouse in Manhattan where the trial of Gilberto Valle took place. Picture: Getty
Share this article
0
Have your say

A NEW YORK police officer has been convicted of plotting online to kidnap, cook and eat women.

Gilberto Valle, 28, was also found guilty on a lesser charge of improperly accessing a ­police database to gather personal information about potential targets, including his now-­estranged wife.

Prosecutors said Valle, 28, who has been dubbed the “cannibal cop”, crossed the line from fantasy to reality in conspiring to kidnap women.

But Valle’s attorney, Julia Gatto, told a federal court jury that her client was merely ­engaged in fantasy role-play online. Valle now faces up to life in prison on the charge of conspiracy to kidnap and up to one year in prison for the ­database breach. He is due to be ­sentenced on 19 June.

His lawyers said they would appeal.

“This is a dangerous prosecution, when we start opening up our minds and prosecuting what’s inside our brains and not in the real world,” Ms Gatto said. “We totally believe the government did not prove their case and the jury couldn’t get past the thoughts.”

US attorney Preet Bharara said the jury found Valle had taken a step into the real world and the criminal realm.

“Today, a unanimous jury found that Gilberto Valle’s detailed and specific plans to abduct women for the purpose of committing grotesque crimes were very real, and that he was guilty as charged,” Mr Bharara said. “The internet is a forum for the free exchange of ideas, but it does not confer immunity for plotting crimes and taking steps to carry out those crimes.”

Awaiting the verdict yesterday, Valle and Ms Gatto hung their heads as they sat side by side, and when the jury read “guilty” their shoulders slumped in unison. Moments later, as they stood, Valle shook his head, then draped his arms around Ms Gatto, tears welling up.

Judge Paul Gardephe commended the jury of six women and six men, who had deliberated since Thursday, for reaching a verdict in the often grisly trial. Evidence included “human meat recipes” and images of women roasting on a spit.

“Sitting in judgment of another human being is difficult. This case in particular has not been an easy one … (with) material that degrades the human spirit,” judge Gardephe told the jury.

Federal prosecutor Hadassa Waxman said in her closing ­argument that Valle was at one point engaged in fantasy, but that his intentions had grown more sinister.

Pointing to his extensive online research on kidnapping, making chloroform and cooking women, she said, “These are real searches conducted to carry out real research to kidnap real women.”

Ms Gatto told jurors that after nearly a year of fantasising about approximately two dozen women – in many cases, discussing kidnapping with other ­fetishists – none of the plotters had ever met, exchanged money or committed any crimes.

Valle did not take the witness stand. His now-estranged wife Kathleen Mangan, 27, was the first prosecution witness in the case and testified about how she discovered her husband’s plans to torture her when she looked on her laptop, which he had been using, last autumn. She said she read how she was to be tied up by her feet and her throat slit.

The former New York City teacher testified that she contacted authorities and fled with their young daughter to live with her parents in Nevada.