DCSIMG

Fatal workshop fire was ‘accidental’

A GAS explosion from a mobile heater started a fire at a workshop for disabled people in Germany that killed 14 and injured nine others on Monday.

The explosion occurred when gas leaking from the heater in the workshop caught fire, prosecutor Peter Haeberle said yesterday at a news conference in the south-western town of Titisee-Neustadt, where the blaze occurred.

It was not immediately clear why the gas caught fire.

Mr Haeberle said all evidence pointed to an accident and there was no indication the fire was started deliberately. However, prosecutors have opened an investigation into the possibility of negligent manslaughter and arson.

 
 
 

Back to the top of the page

 

EDINBURGH
FESTIVALS
2014

#WOWFEST

In partnership with

Complete coverage of the festivals. Guides. Reviews. Listings. Offers

Let's Go!

No Thanks