THE Queen’s two-day visit to Rome this week was in doubt yesterday after she was forced to cancel a planned engagement because of ill health.
Buckingham Palace said the Queen was resting yesterday after developing symptoms of gastroenteritis. A palace spokesman said the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh were still due to travel to Rome, but that a decision would be taken after she has been assessed.
The Queen had been due to attend a military celebration in Wales during St David’s Day celebrations, but was forced to cancel her planned engagements. A spokeswoman confirmed that the Queen would spend the weekend at Windsor.
The Queen, who is 86, has undertaken a number of engagements during the past week. On Tuesday, she met the Archbishop of Canterbury at Buckingham Palace, and on Thursday she presented a host of Olympic stars with honours.