DCSIMG

Police say Savile abuse victims now top 500

Reports says victims should have been treated more seriously by police

Reports says victims should have been treated more seriously by police

More than 500 people have come forward as victims of the late television presenter Jimmy Savile, police said yesterday.

More than 200 allegations of sexual assault have been recorded, Scotland Yard said, with a report into child sex crimes by Savile, who died in October last year at the age of 84, due to be published early in the new year.

The report draws on the testimony of scores of victims and “will provide as clear a picture as possible” of Savile’s offending, a force spokesman said.

Savile is now believed to have been one of the UK’s most prolific abusers. It is alleged the TV star abused young people on BBC premises, in hospitals, care homes and at Broadmoor
psychiatric hospital.

“We are extremely grateful to those victims who have contacted us and commend their bravery. Without them, we would have no investigation,” a spokesman said.

“To date, in excess of 500
victims have come forward, and we have recorded 200 allegations of sexual assault.”

Seven people, including celebrity publicist Max Clifford, have been questioned in connection with Operation Yewtree, which involves a team of 30 officers and has already cost around
£2 million.

Officers are looking at three strands within their inquiry: claims against Savile, those against Savile and others, and those against others, with the report covering the first of those strands.

“The report is based on information provided from scores of victims who have come forward since early October,” the police spokesman said.

“It is hoped it will be published early in the new year and will provide as clear a picture as possible on Savile’s offending, giving a voice to those who have come forward and helping shape future child protection safeguards.”

Other high-profile names arrested in connection with the investigation include Gary Glitter, comedian Freddie Starr, DJ Dave Lee Travis and a man in his seventies, reported to be former producer Wilfred De’Ath.

The latest person to be arrested, a man in his sixties from London, was picked up on Monday on suspicion of sexual offences.

 
 
 

Back to the top of the page

 

UNMISSABLE SHOWS.
UNMISSABLE COVERAGE.
MAKE THE MOST OF THE FESTIVAL
(BEFORE YOU MISS IT)

#WOWFEST

In partnership with

Complete coverage of the festivals. Guides. Reviews. Listings. Offers

Lets Go!

No Thanks