THE father of former Premier League and England football stars Gary and Phil Neville will face a jury trial for sexual assault.
Neville Neville, 63, appeared at Bolton Crown Court today where a date was set for his trial facing a single charge of ‘sexual assault by penetration’.
Neville, wearing a dark suit, white shirt and striped tie, spoke only to confirm his name and sat in the dock of the court for most of the 10-minute hearing as legal arrangements were discussed for the forthcoming trial lasting up to four days starting on December 16.
The alleged victim is believed to be a 46-year-old woman who was allegedly sexually assaulted by Neville on March 23 in the Greenmount area of Bury, Greater Manchester.
Neville, of Larkfield Close, Bury, has not formally entered a plea yet but today’s hearing was told the prosecution understand he will plead not guilty and his solicitor Simon McKay has previously said the defendant denies the allegation made.
At the end of the hearing Judge Timothy Clayson, Recorder of Bolton, told the defendant: “Mr Neville, please stand up.
“I have made arrangements for this case to be heard, starting on December 16. You can have bail until then.”
Neville left court without comment.
As well as working as an agent for his sons, former Everton captain Phil and former Manchester United captain Gary - now an England coach and TV pundit - Neville Neville is a former director of League One side Bury FC.
He was also a sportsman in his own right, and played for Greenmount in the Bolton Cricket League in the 1980s.