Guantanamo detainee Shaker Aamer to sue Government

The US dropped its case against Shaker Aamar back in 2007 ' but refused to free him until this week. Picture: Getty
The US dropped its case against Shaker Aamar back in 2007 ' but refused to free him until this week. Picture: Getty
Share this article
0
Have your say

THE last British resident held at Guantanamo Bay is set to take legal action against the UK government following his release, his friends have said.

Shaker Aamer yesterday spent his first full day of freedom back in Britain after being held for 13 years without charge at the US military facility in Cuba.

The father of four, who is currently receiving treatment in hospital, has already been reunited with his wife Zin.

Yesterday he was due to meet his children this weekend, including youngest son Faris, who was born on the same day Aamer arrived at Guantanamo.

Aamer is now expected to bring legal proceedings against the government over its alleged complicity in his mistreatment.

Campaigners have called for an investigation into the alleged use of torture at the US military prison.

A source said: “Proceedings were initiated some years ago on his behalf that could not be followed until his return to the UK.

“They will now, undoubtedly, be progressed.”

Reports that Aamer could be in line for a compensation payout in the region of £1 million were “speculation”, the source added.

Clive Stafford-Smith, of human rights group Reprieve, said it was a “huge priority” for Aamer that claims of UK complicity in rendition and torture are thoroughly investigated.

He said: “We had a promise from the prime minister that there would be a fully independent inquiry into all of this torture. Unfortunately that’s not happened yet.

“This is a huge priority of Shaker’s. He doesn’t want to have small people, who were sent out to do their jobs, prosecuted for what they did.

“What he does want is that the world should know what did happen so we can set in place rules so that British agents and, let’s hope, American agents don’t get involved in the torture business in the future.”

Aamer is suffering from a number of medical conditions including post-traumatic stress disorder, one of his lawyers, Ramzi Kassem, said.

After returning to the UK, Aamer paid an emotional tribute to all those who have fought for his release, saying: “Without their devotion to justice, I would not be here in Britain now.”

The 46-year-old arrived on a private plane at Biggin Hill airport in south-east London on Friday afternoon.

Aamer has said he was originally seized by bounty hunters while working as a charity worker in Afghanistan in 2001 shortly after the 9/11 terrorist attacks.

The Saudi Arabian national, who is a permanent British resident and married to a British woman, was handed over to US forces and in February 2002 he was transferred to Guantanamo Bay and accused of aiding al-Qaeda terrorists.

But in 2007 the allegations against him were dropped and he was cleared for release.

Despite a formal request by then foreign secretary David Miliband, American authorities refused to allow him to leave Guantanamo Bay.

During his time in captivity, Aamer’s lawyers said he was tortured and held in solitary confinement for 360 days. In 2005, he lost half his body weight during a hunger strike.

Saeed Siddique, his father-in-law, said justice had been done – “but too late” – and Aamer had already been offered compensation during the latter stages of his detention.

Former hostage Terry Waite, who was held captive for 1,760 days after going to Beirut in 1987, urged Aamer to withdraw from public view for a while.

Waite said: “He has suffered a grave injustice. To keep someone for 13 years without charge is beyond the pale.”