DJ Dave Lee Travis says wife standing by him

The 68-year-old yesterday appeared at Westminster Magistrates Court. Picture: Getty

The 68-year-old yesterday appeared at Westminster Magistrates Court. Picture: Getty

Share this article
0
Have your say

VETERAN Disc Jockey Dave Lee Travis has said that his wife is standing by him as he faces allegations of sex offences.

The 68-year-old yesterday appeared at Westminster Magistrates Court where he said he will plead not guilty to 11 counts of indecent assault and one of sexual assault.

He is accused of committing the offences between 1977 and 2007 against alleged victims aged between 15 and 29.

The star faces 18 months in prison for alleged “calculated and prolonged” sex attacks on nine women over 30 years.

Travis, whose real name is David Patrick Griffin, has denied any wrongdoing since he was first arrested in November last year.

His lawyer Martin Bale indicated to the court the DJ would plead not guilty to the charges.

Speaking outside the court, Travis, of Mentmore, in Bedfordshire, said: “I am supported by my wife and friends.”

But he added: “My wife is not here today.”

After the short hearing, he told reporters inside the court building that he could not talk about the case. He added: “I either talk for a long time or I don’t, and at the moment I’m not talking.”

Travis, who was charged last week, was told that his case will be sent to Southwark Crown Court, where he will next appear on 6 September. He was released on bail with the conditions that he lives at his home and does not contact any of his alleged victims.

Wearing a grey suit, white shirt and patterned tie, he spoke to confirm his name and date of birth, and to query what the next hearing would involve.

But he got frustrated when he was asked to sit in the dock.

Travis asked a nearby court usher: “Why am I in here? Why am I not out there with my lawyer?

“Am I a danger? Jesus Christ.”

The former Radio One DJ was charged as part of Operation Yewtree, the police investigation prompted by the Jimmy Savile abuse scandal, but the accusations against Travis have no connection to the disgraced television presenter.

Outlining the case, prosecutor Izolda Switala-Gribbin said: “It was consistent and determined behaviour which spanned over 30 years, in total nine victims, one of them was 15 at the time of the assault.

“An aggravating feature of these offences is that the behaviour was calculated and prolonged and I would submit he will face custody of over 18 months.”

Two of the allegations relate to indecent assault against a 15-year-old girl in 1977.

The most recent charge is an offence of sexual assault against a 23-year-old woman in 2007.

The maximum sentence Travis could face is ten years behind bars if he is found guilty of the alleged offences.

The DJ’s Magic AM show has been off air since he was arrested last November.

A statement released by his legal team when he was first charged said: “Mr Travis denies the allegations and looks forward to having the opportunity to clear his name.”

He addressed a large group of media outside the court before his appearance in the dock yesterday. He told them: “I’m not protesting anything, I’ve got nothing to say. I’d like to speak for three hours to everybody to tell you the story. I’m making no comment.”

Travis started working as a DJ at the offshore pirate radio station Radio Caroline South in 1965, before moving to Radio One two years later.

He became known professionally as DLT but was also referred to as the Hairy Monster, due to his beard, and also the Hairy Cornflake.

In 1993, he famously resigned on-air during his Sunday morning show, stating that he could not agree with changes being made to Radio One.

Back to the top of the page