U-turn on football hate bill - in 90 minutes

ALEX Salmond has declared his crackdown on sectarianism will not be made law until the end of the year, less than two hours after the minister in charge of the plans had insisted it needed to be introduced within weeks.

The First Minister revealed he had changed his mind on the timing of the bill and would allow further parliamentary scrutiny after Holyrood rises for its summer recess next week.

He was speaking 90 minutes after community safety minister Roseanna Cunningham told parliament "we simply cannot allow the next football season to kick off in the same way that the last one finished", arguing that the laws needed to be introduced by next week.

Afterwards, aides to the First Minister said he had changed his mind following the debate, and had agreed to alter the government's stance in a 20- minute meeting with Ms Cunningham after it had finished.

But the sudden move left Ms Cunningham exposed, and prompted claims by opposition parties that the about-turn had undermined the credibility of the proposals.

The change of pace means MSPs will be able to gather more evidence on the controversial plans, prior to them being made into law before the new year.

The legislation will crack down on sectarian disorder around football matches and in pubs where games are screened, and will punish serious threats made on the internet. Both offences could result in a prison sentence of up to five years.

The plans were unveiled by Mr Salmond in the weeks after his election victory, following a touchline attack on Celtic manager Neil Lennon, and the sending of parcel bombs to Lennon, his lawyer Paul McBride and Celtic-supporting former MSP Trish Godman. The SNP argued that such was the immediacy of the threat, new laws needed to be in place by the time the new football season started.

But the scope of the bill has come under scrutiny from MSPs this week, with some claiming the new laws were unnecessary, and amid questions over whether making the sign of the cross or singing God Save the Queen could be deemed an offence.

RELATED

• Yes, Scotland does need new legislation now

• No, Scotland does not need new legislation now

• Leader: U-turn on anti-sectarian Bill fuels charge of incompetence

• Analysis: Volte-face is a smart, if untidy, piece of politics

• Tory MSP's claim of 'state-sponsored conditioning of sectarianism' sparks fury

Groups, including the Church of Scotland, said pushing through legislation in such a short time-scale would mean the proposals "lack scrutiny and clarity".

The U-turn on the timing was a major surprise, coming after Ms Cunningham told MSPs on Tuesday that introducing the laws immediately was "not only feasible, it is desirable".

Yesterday morning, she added: "There are other wider challenges we will face in the longer term, but this bill represents a proportionate response to an immediately serious issue."

That was contradicted by Mr Salmond when he appeared for the weekly First Minister's Questions. Answering Labour Leader Iain Gray, he said: "I accept, and I think everyone accepts, that we have a majority in this chamber, but we need consensus. On this issue above all, I want consensus, I want consensus across the chamber, I want consensus across our partner organisations."

The original plan to fast-track the legislation had been backed by the Scottish Football Association in May. Last night, SFA chief executive Stewart Regan said: "Ultimately, we expect new legislation from the Scottish government to be practical and enforceable - it is important the necessary groundwork is undertaken to ensure this is the case."

Football clubs and lawyers also backed the pause last night, while a Christian group that had threatened legal action if the law had been introduced said it would be dropping its plans.

The Rt Rev David Arnott, Moderator of the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland, said: "I am pleased the government have heeded advice from ourselves and others not to be hasty. It is important that civic Scotland gets the chance to be part of proper democratic scrutiny on what is a crucial cultural issue."

Cameron Ritchie, president of the Law Society of Scotland, said: "On such an important issue as this, we need effective law that is both workable and not open to challenge."However, opposition parties said the uncertainty had placed a cloud over the legislation.

Scottish Labour leader Iain Gray, said: "The First Minister's and SNP's incompetence had undermined the credibility of the bill and they have now had to climb down from their attempt to rush it through."

There were also continuing questions from some quarters over whether new laws on disorder around games are necessary, given existing legislation on breach of the peace.

Mr Salmond's change of heart came in the wake of opposition criticism that the new SNP government was using its majority to "steam-roller" parliament.

Opponents claimed this contradicted Mr Salmond's assurance on being elected that he would seek consensus with opposition parties, despite not requiring their support.

His change of heart disarmed opposition parties, but led to questions over Ms Cunningham's position, as SNP insiders made it clear she did not know the position was going to be changed during yesterday morning's parliamentary exchanges.

A spokesman for the First Minister said the decision to allow further parliamentary time had been taken at a post-debate meeting with Ms Cunningham, justice secretary Kenny MacAskill and Lord Advocate Frank Mulholland.

Back to the top of the page