Two vet visits in four months for Millie the dog

One-year-old Millie pictured with vet Laura Martin. Picture: PDSA
One-year-old Millie pictured with vet Laura Martin. Picture: PDSA
Share this article
0
Have your say

VETS have come to the rescue of a mischievous dog twice in four months after her taste buds landed her in trouble.

One-year-old Millie was rushed to the pet charity PDSA’s Edinburgh surgery last week after swallowing 13 tablets, including ibuprofen, she found when rooting through a bag left in her owner’s house.

In February, the black lurcher got a 6cm piece of wood stuck in her mouth when she tried to eat a garden plant. Vets had to sedate her and remove the pointed stick with forceps.

Owner Jennifer Gilmour and her daughter Morgan are now keeping a close eye on Millie to avoid another visit to the vet.

Ms Gilmour said: “When we first took Millie on, she did have a habit of trying to eat things she shouldn’t, but we thought she had grown out of it.

“It was only when Millie did a big yawn that we spotted the stick. Since then, we’ve been really careful not to leave anything lying around that she may take a liking to, but unfortunately she managed to get in the guest bedroom when we had someone staying and get hold of the medicines.

“I’m so grateful to PDSA for the care they have given to Millie. We’ll now be keeping an even closer eye on her to check she isn’t getting into mischief.”

Human medicines can be fatal to dogs and Millie was given IV fluids and other drugs to counteract the harmful effects of the tablets.

Vet Laura Martin knows Millie well after treating her twice this year.

She said: “Millie was very stressed when she arrived at PDSA back in February, and it quickly became apparent that we wouldn’t be able to remove the stick easily.

“So she was admitted to the PetAid hospital, sedated and the stick was removed with forceps, as it was lodged firmly in the roof of her mouth. It had injured her gums where the stick made contact either side of her mouth, but luckily there was no serious harm caused.”

The vet urged pet owners to keep medicines away from animals and contact a vet before trying to treat them at home.

Ms Martin said: “PDSA sees nearly 200 cases a year where pets have eaten or come into contact with potentially poisonous substances, or where their owner has given them human medicines, with all the best intentions.

“It’s important that owners always ask their vet first about what medicines can be given and keep toxic chemicals like some slug baits and rat poisons well out of the reach of curious paws.”