FIREFIGHTERS rescued two people after flames took hold within the ground floor of a sheltered housing complex in the north of Glasgow during the early hours of Saturday.
Around 25 firefighters attended the incident, which took place around 3:50am at a property on Shiskine Place in Maryhill.
Scottish Fire and Rescue Service (SFRS) personnel used a ladder to remove a men and a woman from the first floor of the building before passing them safely to the care of ambulance crews.
The pair were taken to the city’s Western Infirmary for treatment for smoke inhalation, along with a man from a ground floor property.
A second woman was treated at the scene but did not need to go to hospital. None of the casualties’ injuries are believed to be life threatening and the incident is not being treated as suspicious.
Group Commander Iain Goodlet, the senior officer at the scene, said: “This was a challenging incident but the professionalism of crews from Maryhill and Knightswood fire stations meant the casualties were rescued and the fire was quickly extinguished.
“The incident commander immediately committed breathing apparatus teams to the building to conduct both search and rescue and firefighting operations, with a high pressure water jet used to successfully extinguish the fire before it could spread.
“Four people sustained smoke inhalation and the quick response of firefighters and ambulance crews ensured they got to safety and received immediate medical care.
“We work extremely closely with our fellow emergency services to provide the public with the specialist skills needed at a wide range of incidents.
“That strong partnership was evident at this fire and all the emergency responders involved will wish the people injured as a result of this incident a full and speedy recovery from their ordeal.
In protecting communities across the country SFRS crews not only respond to fires, but also work around-the-clock to help reduce the risk of them starting in the first place.
Lifestyle factors are known to impact the chances of someone experiencing a fire within the home, so firefighters’ efforts are targeted to successfully reach the people who may be at greater risk.
The popular Free Home Fire Safety Visit programme has seen operational crews throughout Scotland welcomed by residents of their own communities, with the firefighters able to share friendly advice to prevent fires and the deaths, injuries and damage they cause.
Group Commander Goodlet added: “In the aftermath of this incident crews went to visit residents in the vicinity to help them take the simple steps to keep their homes fire safe.
“We know working smoke alarms are life savers. By giving people early warning of the danger, these devices buy vital time for everyone to get to safety if a fire does happen.
“Crews conducting free home fire safety visits install long life smoke alarms wherever they are needed, and we also help people plan their escape route so everyone in the property knows what to do in an emergency.
“Working smoke alarms and a fire action plan will give people the best chance of escaping unhurt if the worst does happen, but we can all take action to prevent a fire starting in the first place.
“Cooking appliances, smoking materials and candles should never be left unattended while they are in use or placed near materials that could catch fire – like curtains or clothing.
“House fires kill or injure twice as many people over the age of 60 than people under the age of 60, so anyone who keeps an eye on someone who could be vulnerable should put them in touch with us.
“By taking responsibility for the safety of those around them, members of the public can ensure those at risk get the help and support they need to feel safe in their home.”
Anyone can join Scotland’s fight against fire and register for a free home fire safety visit by calling 0800 0731 999 or texting ‘check’ to 61611. They can also fill out a form at www.firescotland.gov.uk or contact their local fire station.