Two dead in suspected CO poisoning in Glasgow flat

Gas engineers at the flats where the two women were found. Picture: SWNS
Gas engineers at the flats where the two women were found. Picture: SWNS
Share this article
0
Have your say

Two women have been found dead at a Glasgow flat in a possible case of carbon monoxide poisoning.

The bodies of the women, who have yet to be identified, were discovered after emergency services were called to the property in the Barrowfield area in the east end of the city at around 12pm yesterday.

Police said the deaths are being treated as “unexplained” but are not thought to be suspicious. However, one line of inquiry officers are investigating is carbon monoxide poisoning. Post-mortem examinations are due to be carried out and a report will be submitted to the procurator fiscal.

A spokeswoman for Police Scotland said: “One line of inquiry is that their deaths may be related to carbon monoxide poisoning, although this has still to be confirmed.”

Residents from a number of flats in the area were evacuated as a precautionary measure, but it is understood the investigation has not identified any problems with other properties.

One neighbour, who did not wish to be identified, said: “I heard the police pull up and they put up a cordon. I thought someone had been attacked at first. It’s shocking what’s happened.”

Forensics officers from the force were at the four storey property yesterday alongside staff from SIR, a gas service engineering firm. An employee from the company said they had been asked to attend the scene by Scottish Fire and Rescue.

The property is part of a development owned by the West of Scotland Housing Association. A housing officer from the Association attended the scene of the incident shortly before 4pm yesterday but declined to comment.

The Association’s press office did not return calls, but in a statement, its chief executive, Lynne Donnelly, said: “We are aware of the incident at our property at Dalserf Court and our thoughts are with the families and loved ones of those involved.

“As this is an ongoing police investigation it would be inappropriate to comment further until the investigation is complete.”

The Association is required by law to inspect all gas appliances and pipework and issue tenants with a landlord’s gas safety record, work which is carried out on a 10-month cycle.

It also services any gas fires or central heating boilers in its properties every year. It is not known when the last service took place at the Dalserf Court block.