Start on Thursday, 8:40pm. Arrive at Athens Airport. Take the Metro to Syngrou Fix.
• 10:30pm Check into Acropolis Hill Hotel, Odos Mousson 7 (www.acropolishill.gr), where en suite doubles start at E95. Head for the rooftop bar.
• Friday, 9:30am Stroll up Dionissiou Areopagitou, past the Theatre of Dionysus, to the Acropolis. Ramble among ancient marble columns.
• 10:30am Walk down Odos Theorias to the site of the Ancient Agora, a pleasant open space dominated by the massive Temple of Hephaistos.
• Noon Walk to Plateia Monastiraki, where grill-restaurants cluster.
• 2:30pm Meander back to the hotel via the Plaka and Odos Pandrossou, which is lined with shops selling clothes, accessories and jewellery and, Odos Adrianou.
• 3:30pm See the fine sculptures at the Acropolis Museum (www.theacropolismuseum.gr).
• 6pm Enjoy sunset over the Acropolis from the hotel’s rooftop bar.
• 8pm Dinner at Daphne’s (www.daphnesrestaurant.gr, booking essential). Try pork with avgolimeno.
• Saturday, 8:30am Head for the Central Market on Odos Athinas for a slice of real Athenian life.
• 10am To the National Archaeological Museum (www.namuseum.gr) for treasures like Agamemnon’s golden mask.
• Noon Linger over lunch on the terrace at Filippou (19 Odos Xenokratous, Kolonaki, tel: 210 721 6390).
• 2:30pm Admire 5,000-year-old white marble statues at the Cyclades Museum (www.cycladic.gr).
• 5pm Stroll across Plateia Syntagma and through the Plaka.
• 8pm Dine on bakaliarakia at O Damigos (www.mpakaliarakia.gr) in the Plaka – fish supper, but not as we know it.
• Sunday, 11am Catch the Metro to the airport.
EasyJet flies from Edinburgh to Athens twice a week from £170, www.easyjet.com