A MAJOR road that stretches from Glasgow to Inverness via Glencoe has hailed as one of the best driving routes in the UK and Ireland.
The A82 was named among 12 top routes across the British isles, selected by Continental Tyres, for featuring “areas of outstanding natural beauty”.
Another Scottish road, Bealach Na Ba in Wester Ross, was also among the routes chosen by the German firm in their Continental Road Trip Guide.
A survey of 2,000 motorists undertaken to coincide with the launch of the guide asked drivers a series of questions on their habits behind the wheel, with eight out of ten saying they enjoyed driving for its own sake. Motorists also revealed they enjoyed driving best as part of a holiday.
Britain’s best road trips, according to Continental Tyres
1. A82 Glencoe – Lanarkshire and Dunbarton, Scotland
2. The Wild Atlantic Way – Donegal, Leitrim, Sligo, Mayo, Galway, Clare, Limerick, Kerry and Cork, Ireland
3. Black Mountain Pass – Powys and Monmouthshire, Wales
4. Buttertubs Pass – Yorkshire, England
5. The Evo Triangle – Denbighshire, Conwy and Gwynedd, Wales
6. A686 from Penrith to Haydon Bridge – Cumbria and Northumberland, England
7. The Snake Pass – Cheshire and Yorkshire, England
8. The Dark Hedges – County Antrim, Northern Ireland
9. Cheddar Gorge – Somerset, England
10. The Wicklow Mountains – Wicklow, Carlow, Wexford and Dublin, Ireland
11. Abergwesyn Pass - Powys, Wales
12. Bealach Na Ba – Wester Ross, Scotland