THE identity of the train conductor involved in a fare row with a passenger which became an internet sensation has been revealed by ScotRail as he returned to work.
Alan Mitchell, 63, is believed to have been off sick since the incident nearly two months ago in which he was filmed remonstrating with a student alleged to not have a valid ticket.
ScotRail released details and photographs of the conductor yesterday in an apparent attempt to prevent any potential harassment by passengers.
A two-minute video, filmed by a passenger and watched more than two million times on YouTube, shows Mr Mitchell in a dispute with 19-year-old Sam Main over an alleged unpaid fare before he was removed from the train by another passenger.
The incident happened on the 9:33pm Edinburgh-Perth train at Linlithgow on 9 December.
British Transport Police said a man had been charged over an alleged assault in connection with the incident.
Alan Pollock, 35, from Stirling, was named as the man who allegedly removed Mr Main from the train at Linlithgow station.
He has been subsequently dubbed “the Big Man”.
Mr Main, from Falkirk, was not charged but was reported to the procurator fiscal for allegedly breaking the Criminal Justice and Licensing Scotland Act (2010) which relates to threatening or abusive behaviour.
He was also reported for alleged trespass.
The Crown Office said the case remained under consideration.
Mr Mitchell, who has worked on the railways across Scotland for 37 years, is understood to have initially taken time off work after the incident, then went on sick leave.
In a statement issued by ScotRail, the conductor said: “I have always wanted to return to duties.
“Railways are my hobby as well as my job.
“I never get that Monday morning feeling and I’m delighted to be back. I really like my work.”