DCSIMG

New appeal over 2012 Inverkeilor train derailment

British Transport Police have renewed their appeal for information in connection with the potentially serious derailment. Picture: Complimentary

British Transport Police have renewed their appeal for information in connection with the potentially serious derailment. Picture: Complimentary

  • by FRANK URQUHART
 

BRITISH Transport Police today posted a renewed offer of a £25,000 reward for information in their hunt for the “irresponsible” vandals who caused a potentially serious derailment of a passenger train in Angus a year ago.

On Sunday, 4 November, a CrossCountry Trains service from Edinburgh to Aberdeen came off the rails at Inverkeilor after an obstruction had been deliberately placed on the tracks.

The front carriage of the 8.04am service came off the tracks on a stretch of the line between Arbroath and Montrose but remained upright. None of the 36 passengers were hurt but the 49 year-old driver was treated for a minor head injury.

The derailment caused two days of disruption on the busy line and was branded a “callous and cowardly” attack on a train by Kevin Lindsay, Scottish officer of the train drivers’ union Aslef. He declared a year ago: “It was only good fortune that the train remained upright. We could have been talking about a common vandal deliberately inflicting a major loss of life.”

Twelve months on, those responsible for the derailment have still to be caught. And today British Transport Police launched a fresh appeal for information in a bid to catch the culprits.

A spokesman for the force said: “A year after a train was deliberately derailed at Inverkeilor in Angus, a reward of £25,000 - offered by the rail industry - remains on offer for information which leads to the arrest and conviction of those responsible for deliberately putting an obstruction on the line.

“British Transport Police launched an investigation following the derailment of the front carriage of the 08.04 CrossCountry service from Edinburgh to Aberdeen around 10.00am on Sunday 4 November 2012 and officers found an obstruction at the scene.

“The reward is still being offered by the operator of the railway infrastructure, Network Rail, and train operators CrossCountry, ScotRail and East Coast, as the British Transport Police (BTP) investigation continues.”

Detective Chief Inspector Iain Miller, who is leading the investigation, said: “Despite the time that has passed since the incident occurred I am still hopeful that someone will come forward with the piece of information that could help identify those responsible for such an irresponsible act.”

British Transport Police can be contacted on 0800 40 50 40 or information can be given anonymously to the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

A year ago officers from British Transport Police said they were keen to trace a group of four youths who were seen near the derailment site at about 7.30pm on Saturday, 3 November, 2012. They ranged in height from 5ft to 5ft 6in tall and one was wearing a grey or light coloured hooded top and trousers. The youths were last seen walking towards Bryanton House just off the A92, prior to the bonfire at Inverkeilor.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page