NETWORK Rail (NR) chief executive Mark Carne will not be taking a bonus this year.
The rail boss had been under fire since late-running Christmas engineering work led to the closure of King’s Cross station in London last Saturday amid chaotic scenes.
CONNECT WITH THE SCOTSMAN
• Subscribe to our daily newsletter (requires registration) and get the latest news, sport and business headlines delivered to your inbox every morning
Mr Carne could have received as much as £135,000 in a performance-related annual pay bonus for 2014/15.
But he told Sky News today that he would not be taking it.
Mr Carne said today: “I am accountable for the railways and the performance (over Christmas) was not acceptable so I have decided that I should not take my bonus this year.”
He added that when he took over at NR (in January 2014) he recognised that the railways faced “enormous challenges” and that he had seen since that these challenges remained.
Other top executives at NR are also entitled to annual performance-related bonuses of up to 20% of salaries.
• http://www.scotsman.com/news/transport/network-rail-deeply-sorry-for-ruined-plans-1-3645474|Network Rail ‘deeply sorry’ for ruined plans|link to article}
Manuel Cortes, leader of the TSSA rail union, said: “We welcome this decision by Mark Carne but, like many of his trains, it is running late - 72 hours late in this case.
“He should have announced it on Sunday when it became clear of the level of chaos suffered by tens of thousands of passengers caught up in the King’s Cross shutdown.
“We hope that his fellow executives will now follow suit and announce they will also be giving up their large bonuses as well.”
SCOTSMAN TABLET AND IPHONE APPS