Glasgow bin lorry crash inquiry to last 5 weeks

The bin Lorry crash scene in George Square. Picture: Robert Perry
The bin Lorry crash scene in George Square. Picture: Robert Perry
Share this article
0
Have your say

An inquiry into a bin lorry crash which killed six people could last up to five weeks, a court has heard.

The tragedy happened when a Glasgow City Council truck collided with pedestrians in the city centre days before Christmas last year.

A fatal accident inquiry will look at the driver’s medical background and technical aspects relating to the lorry.

Solicitor General Lesley Thomson QC, who will lead the inquiry, told a hearing at Glasgow Sheriff Court today that it is likely to last three weeks.

Peter Gray, the solicitor acting for the council, said that could be optimistic and four is more realistic, but he “wouldn’t be surprised” if it lasts five weeks.

Sheriff Principal Craig Scott today agreed to a further preliminary hearing before the inquiry begins on July 22.

Erin McQuade, 18, her grandparents Jack Sweeney, 68, and his 69-year-old wife Lorraine, all from Dumbarton, died when the truck lost control on Queen Street on December 22.

Stephenie Tait, 29, and Jacqueline Morton, 51, both from Glasgow, and Gillian Ewing, 52, from Edinburgh, were also killed when it mounted the pavement before crashing into the side of the Millennium Hotel in George Square.