DCSIMG

Aberdeen bus strike for Saturday called off

  • by ALISTAIR MUNRO
 

PLANNED strike action by bus drivers in Aberdeen on Saturday over a pay dispute has been called off.

The move comes following “positive talks” between the union Unite and First Aberdeen management.

Meanwhile, a new pay offer has been made and will be placed before staff for a further vote on industrial action on Thursday.

The union’s members last week voted overwhelmingly for industrial action for a series of strikes which would have brought massive disruption to the Granite City during the festive periond.

The action was due to begin on Saturday, and continue on December 18, 20, 22, 27, 29 and 31.

Unite the Union has confirmed it will put the offer to its membersand the result of the ballot is expected on Friday.

Duncan Cameron, Director and General Manager of First Aberdeen, said: “We’ve held productive talks over the last couple of days with both parties prepared to negotiate.

“We have put on the table a two year deal, backdated to April which will be paid between Christmas and New Year.

“That offer is one that the business can afford and which also increases our drivers’ take home pay without making any changes to current working practices.

“I hope that the result of the ballot is a positive one and our customers can be spared the inconvenience of industrial action over the festive period.”

Unite’s Mike Flinn said: “We have agreed to call off Saturday’s industrial action as a goodwill gesture to the people of Aberdeen.

“Our members will take part in a new ballot. If it gets approved, the deal will be done and there will be no strikes.

“That would be the best outcome for everybody at this time of year.”

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page