Ten people, including two children, have been rescued after a fire broke out in a tenement.
Emergency services found the building heavily smoke logged when they arrived at the scene in Bath Street in the Portobello area of Edinburgh after the alarm was raised at 6.30pm yesterday.
Firefighters used ladders and specialist high reach equipment to rescue six residents, including the two children, from the upper floors.
Four residents were led to safety from the ground floor level of the five storey building.
The 10 people were all treated for mild smoke inhalation by firefighters and ambulance service personnel but did not need to go to hospital.
The fire was in the close of the tenement and was quickly extinguished by fire crews.
Group Manager Jimmy Melvin of the Scottish Fire & Rescue Service said: “The heavy smoke logging within the common area of this block of flats caused the residents a great deal of distress and disruption.
“The first attending crews worked quickly to lead 10 residents to safety whilst the fire was extinguished and the area made safe.
Some residents were reassured by firefighters at the scene and remained within their homes, taking advice from firefighters to conceal doorways to prevent smoke entering and to move to a safe room within the flat.”
He added: “Residents should avoid at any costs placing refuge, or any combustible material in these common areas, as this increases the risk to fires starting.”