Students ignorant of virus

HALF of Scottish university students are unwittingly exposing themselves to the risk of the deadly hepatitis C virus, according to research published today.

Students risk their health by sharing banknotes or straws when snorting drugs, getting tattoos or piercings and sharing razors and toothbrushes.

The survey, conducted during fresher's week at Edinburgh University, also found that around two-thirds of students knew little about hepatitis C.

Charles Gore, chief executive of the Hepatitis C Trust, said: "These findings are shocking. Young people are putting themselves at risk and they seem completely unaware of the dangers."

The disease, which affects more than 50,000 people in Scotland, attacks the liver.

Back to the top of the page