BATCHES of smoked halibut, smoked trout and smoked salmon have been recalled from supermarkets over concerns about the risk of the food poisoning bug botulism.
The Food Standards Agency (FSA) said the recall by Campsie Glen Smokehouse followed concerns about the company’s procedures to control Clostridium botulinum, which can lead to botulism.
The FSA said no trace of the toxin, which can cause “serious” food poisoning, had been found in tested products, but a recall was being carried out as a precaution.
It said the company had been unable to demonstrate satisfactory controls aimed at preventing the growth and toxin production of Clostridium botulinum.
The World Health Organisation warns that the bug can cause paralysis of motor and autonomic nerves, usually starting with cranial nerves.
A statement from the FSA read: “Manufacturing controls aimed at preventing the growth and toxin production of Clostridium botulinum could not be demonstrated satisfactorily by the company.
“The issue relates to controlling factors to prevent the growth and toxin production of Clostridium botulinum.
“The botulinum toxin may cause a serious form of food poisoning called botulism. Although no trace of the toxin has been found in products tested, a recall from customers is being carried out as a precautionary measure.”
The affected products are Campsie Glen Smokehouse Smoked Halibut, Campsie Glen Smokehouse Trout and Campsie Glen Smokehouse Smoked Salmon in 100g packs with use-by dates of April 6, 11, 13 and 27.
The batch codes are 2063, 2064, 2065, 2066, 2067, 2069, 2070, 2071, and some of these codes may have the letter I, H or L at the end.
No other Campsie Glen Smokehouse products are known to be affected.
The statement added: “The Campsie Glen Smokehouse Ltd is recalling the affected batches and point-of-sale notices will be displayed in stores where the product is sold.
“These notices explain to customers why the product is being recalled and tells them what actions to take if they have bought the product.
“If you have bought one of the above products, do not eat it. Instead, return it to the store where it was bought for a full refund.”