A POLICE watchdog investigating the death of a man in police custody is trying to trace the drivers of nine cars who may have useful information.
Sheku Bayoh, 31, was detained after police were called to an incident in Hayfield Road, Kirkcaldy, Fife, on May 3 and died in custody.
An investigation into his death is being undertaken by the Police Investigations and Review Commissioner (PIRC).
The Scottish Police Federation said officers had been responding to a call of a man brandishing a knife.
The family of Mr Bayoh, whose funeral took place last Sunday, have said they will not rest until they get answers about his death.
PIRC, an independent organisation, has reviewed CCTV coverage from Hayfield Road and Hendry Road in Kirkcaldy on Sunday May 3.
Investigators would like to speak to the drivers of nine vehicles seen in the area between 7.10am and 7.25am.
The vehicles are:
• A small grey hatchback-style five-door car turning right on to Hendry Road.
• A larger white family-style saloon five-door car turning right on to Hayfield Road, with a possible taxi plate at the back.
• A small silver car turning right into Hayfield Road.
• A larger black car, possibly a SUV-style vehicle, turning left into Hayfield Road.
• A silver van, possibly with a taxi logo on the side, turning into Hendry Road.
• A small dark car turning left on to Hayfield Road.
• A grey/blue car turning left on to Hayfield Road.
• A white 4x4 turning left into Hayfield Road.
• A small black car turning left into Hayfield Road.
The investigators stress that any sighting is relevant to the inquiry.
Officers appealed for anyone who recognises their own vehicle, or the vehicle of someone they know, from the CCTV images or footage to contact them on 01698 543291.