Scottish police forces reveal details of unsolved murders
SCOTTISH police forces have 77 unsolved murders on their books, it was revealed today.
• The Bible John murders were amongst those on Strathclyde Police's unsolved murder files
BBC Scotland said all eight Scottish forces were asked to supply the number of unsolved murders on their files.
• Strathclyde Police told the BBC it had 53 unsolved homicides on file.
• Lothian and Borders police have six unsolved murders on file.
• The BBC said Tayside had 10 unsolved cases, Grampian reported four, Northern Constabulary had three and Fife one.
• Central Scotland Police and Dumfries and Galloway Constabulary each reported they had no unsolved murders.
Amongst Strathclyde police's files was details on Bible John who stalked Glasgow's East End in the 1960s for his victims.
Tayside Police also gave details of the murders of Janet Henderson at a farm in Forgandenny near Perth in 1866, and Jean Milne, whose body was found in a house in Broughty Ferry in 1912.
The murder of two women last seen in the World's End pub in the Royal
Mile in Edinburgh in 1979 is included in the list.
Convicted sex killer Angus Sinclair was cleared of the murders after a judge ruled there was no case to answer in 2007.
In their responses, a number of forces noted that murder investigations were never closed and the DNA evidence offered hope of so-called "cold cases" being revived.
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Edinburgh
Thursday 23 May 2013
Temperature: 5 C to 10 C
Wind Speed: 23 mph
Wind direction: North west
Temperature: 4 C to 13 C
Wind Speed: 17 mph
Wind direction: North east