Skydivers survive after parachutes malfunction
Two skydivers had lucky escapes yesterday after being rushed to hospital in separate incidents due to problems with their parachutes.
An 18-year-old man was airlifted to the Southern General Hospital in Glasgow when his parachute failed to deploy fully during a jump at Strathallan Airfield, near Auchterarder in Perthshire. He was left hurtling towards the ground at about 50mph when the chute only partially opened.
The Scottish Ambulance Service said a helicopter was sent at about 1:.20am. He was said to be suffering from suspected back, leg and neck injuries, but was conscious.
However, a spokesman for Skydive Strathallan said last night the teenager had been released from hospital.
He said: “His dad phoned earlier, and in his own words, he doesn’t have a scratch.”
About an hour later, at Errol Airfield, also in Perthshire, a 28-year-old woman was hurt when her parachute failed to open.
She was taken by road ambulance to Ninewells Hospital in Dundee. She is believed to have a broken ankle.
Paragon Skydiving Club, which is based at the airfield, declined to comment on the incident.
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Edinburgh
Tuesday 21 May 2013
Temperature: 7 C to 17 C
Wind Speed: 13 mph
Wind direction: North west
Temperature: 3 C to 12 C
Wind Speed: 23 mph
Wind direction: West