ScotRail in legal challenge over driver-only trains strike

ScotRail launches legal challenge over strike. Picture: John Devlin
ScotRail launches legal challenge over strike. Picture: John Devlin
Share this article
0
Have your say

A DISPUTE over driver-only trains which has led to a series of strikes has worsened following legal moves.

Members of the Rail, Maritime and Transport union (RMT) at ScotRail are set to walk out again for 48 hours from August 7, then for a further 24 hours on August 11, and over the weekend of August 13/14.

READ MORE: Transport minister urged to broker deal in driver-only trains row

The union opposes any extension of driver-only trains and wants guards to be in control of operating doors, stating safety is at the core of the dispute.

A company spokesman said: “We have written to the RMT to challenge some actions by the union that we believe contravene the legislation that governs industrial action. We await their response.”

An RMT spokesperson said: “There is a threat of a legal challenge that RMT will look at in detail before we respond formally.

READ MORE: Rail union highlights ‘dangers’ of driver-only trains

“This latest move shows that ScotRail are keener on interfering in workplace democracy under the cover of the anti-union laws than they are in dealing with the issues of rail safety at the heart of the current dispute. “

Members of the RMT have already staged a series of strikes since the row flared, which the union said had been “solidly supported”.

Like The Scotsman on Facebook

DOWNLOAD THE SCOTSMAN APP ON ITUNES OR GOOGLE PLAY