Man dies diving with son in third tragedy in six months off east coast


A FATHER who was on a diving trip with his son died at the weekend after getting into difficulties off the coast of the Borders, it emerged yesterday.

The 52-year-old man was part of a group of divers from England who were on an expedition near Eyemouth when he got into trouble in the water late on Saturday afternoon.

The man, who has not been named, is thought to have taken ill and fell unconscious during the diving. Police inquiries into the incident are ongoing, but there are not thought to be any suspicious circumstances surrounding the death.

The emergency call went out at about 3:30pm on Saturday and the RNLI inshore lifeboat from St Abbs was deployed shortly afterwards.

A spokesman for the station said the crew was able to pick up the man from the water before taking him back to the harbour and attempting to resuscitate him.

He was then airlifted by a Royal Navy helicopter crew, sent from HMS Gannett in Prestwick, to Edinburgh Royal Infirmary, but was pronounced dead on arrival.

It remains unclear how the man got into difficulties, but the RNLI spokesman said that 
sea conditions at the time were “flat and calm”. It is understood the eight-strong group, including the victim and his son, hailed from Rotherham in south Yorkshire.

A spokesman for Lothian and Borders Police said: “Lothian and Borders Police are investigating after a 52-year-old man died during a diving excursion in St Abbs on Saturday.

“Inquiries are ongoing. However, there appear to be no suspicious circumstances surrounding his death.”

The death is the third diving tragedy to have taken place in recent months off the coast of Eyemouth, one of the most popular diving spots in Scotland thanks to the abundance of wrecks around the seabed. All three incidents claimed the lives of men from the Yorkshire area.

In August, Ian Woolston died while exploring the wreck of a German U-boat. The accomplished diver from Halifax lost his air supply while 47 metres deep.

He was seen frantically signalling to his dive partner, who helped him return to the surface. A helicopter from RAF Boulmer in Northumberland and lifeboat crews from Dunbar and Anstruther were involved in the rescue operation, while attempts were made to resuscitate Mr Woolston for about half an hour after he was taken back to land.

However, the 52-year-old assistant manager of a sheet metal firm died at Ninewells Hospital in Dundee.

In June, David Ruston from Barnsley died near Eyemouth harbour after he got into difficulties in the water.

The 59-year-old surfaced face-down unconscious, and despite rescue efforts, the member of Barnsley Sub Aqua Club was later pronounced dead at Edinburgh Royal Infirmary.




Back to the top of the page