DCSIMG

Glasgow flat fire: Three people taken to hospital

Three people were taken to hospital. Picture: TSPL

Three people were taken to hospital. Picture: TSPL

THREE people have been taken to hospital after a fire in a Glasgow tenement block.

The blaze broke out in the kitchen of a flat in the four-storey building in the Ibrox area of Glasgow around 1am.

Firefighters rescued three people who were all suffering from smoke inhalation.

One was found in the common close and two others inside the second-floor flat.

They were taken to the city’s Southern General Hospital for treatment.

A fire service spokesperson said, “Kitchen fires are amongst the most common type of incident that we attend.

“All too frequently these fires result in injury and death, and cooking whilst under the influence of alcohol increases this risk considerably.”

“A working smoke detector will give occupants a vital early warning when a fire does occur, and greatly improves the chances of getting out safely.”

Meanwhile, another man was taken to hospital suffering from smoke inhalation after a house fire on the island of Islay.

Authorities were alerted to the blaze in Port Ellen around 3am.

A spokesman said: “On arrival, firefighters wearing breathing apparatus entered the two-storey property, quickly locating and removing the casualty.

“The fire was successfully extinguished and firefighters provided oxygen therapy and trauma care for the casualty until Paramedics could take over. The casualty was then transported to hospital by ambulance.”

The conditions of those rescued in both incidents is not known.

 
 
 

Back to the top of the page