A FORMER Dundee FC director was being investigated by police after his brother complained about more than £1.1million taken from a joint family account.
Oil tycoon Calum Melville, who was once one of Scotland’s richest men, is being probed over transfers from an account he holds with his brother Stuart and mother Dorothy.
It is understood that at least four transactions - which led to £1.1million being transferred into an account held by Calum and his wife Susan - are the subject of a Police Scotland investigation.
The money in question was withdrawn from the Credit Suisse account between September and November 2010.
A Police Scotland spokeswoman said: “As enquiries are still ongoing it would be inappropriate to comment.”
Mr Melville, who is now Director at Oilfield Integrity Management, and his brother who works at First Integrated Solutions, both declined to comment.
The pair were at one point worth £124million according to the Sunday Times rich list, placing them among Scotland’s wealthiest.
They amassed a huge fortune after selling their industrial equipment business, GTC Group, to marine safety company Cosalt in 2007 - creating Cosalt Offshore.
Calum remained as head of offshore operations and in 2009 he added to his business interests by joining the board of Dundee FC.
But Cosalt Offshore began legal proceedings against the two brothers following an investigation into an alleged shortfall of up to ?4m at its Aberdeen-based division, headed by Calum Melville.
He was suspended by September 2010 and the brothers agreed to a multi-million-pound out-of-court settlement.
Weeks later, he also quit the Dens Park board on the same morning he had been due to give evidence at an employment tribunal raised by sacked former manager Jocky Scott.
Lawyers for Dundee - which later went into administration - said he was not “physically and mentally” capable of giving evidence due to the ongoing investigation into his business dealings.
As well as the allegations related to the family bank account, Police Scotland has also been investigating allegations of fraud at Cosalt Offshore during Mr Melville’s tenure.
Detectives have been considering files submitted by Cosalt following a civil court claim.
The Crown Office is currently giving “full and careful” consideration to the report - to decide whether anyone should face prosecution.
The firm alleged in 2010 that there may have been a fraud involving payments for goods that were never delivered - the proceeds of which would end up in accounts controlled by Calum Melville.
The case was settled out of court in October 2012 and Cosalt was paid £2m.
Calum Melville stressed he was not admitting liability for an alleged multimillion-pound fraud and that there were “very strong business reasons” for avoiding court action.