DCSIMG

Donald Trump video removed from YouTube - again

A still image from the Donald Trump video

A still image from the Donald Trump video

  • by FRANK URQUHART
 

A SATIRICAL protest video lampooning Donald Trump has been banned from YouTube for a second time.

Earlier this week scotsman.com revealed that the soundtrack to “Donald Trump does Bohemian Rhapsody” - a satirical video produced to highlight the bitter dispute between the business tycoon and the residents of Aberdeenshire’s Menie estate - was being released as a single in the battle to become the Christmas Number One.

The parody of Queen’s seminal hit was first featured last year in a protest video produced by a group of Scottish poets, musicians and artists to highlight the plight of the residents who had been facing potential eviction to pave the way for Trump’s £750 million golf resort on the Menie estate.

Brian May, Queen’s lead guitarist, gave his blessing to the video, featuring a Spitting Image style puppet of the American billionaire.

The video was first removed from YouTube last year after EMI claimed it did not have copyright of the song. But it attracted thousands of hits after being posted on the website for a second time on Tuesday.

Hazel Cameron, the Edinburgh-based poet who helped to produce the video, said today: “It was doing very well until last night when YouTube removed the video - saying it was ‘inappropriate.’

“As there were no copyright issues, and I had done everything by the book, it is shocking to note that they can still remove the video because they deem the truth to be ‘inappropriate’. No further explanation has been given.”

She added: “It was also removed from iTunes without notification or explanation.”

A spokeswoman for YouTube said: “YouTube takes copyright infringement very seriously. When we receive a complaint alleging that a video infringes another person or company’s copyrights, we remove that video. Users who believe that a video was removed in error can appeal the copyright takedown.” Sarah Malone, the executive vice-president of Trump International Golf Links Scotland, claimed earlier this week: “This is a tired rehashed publicity stunt which further reinforces the lack of credibility of the small group of detractors behind it. It only serves to hurt the reputation of Scotland and its people.”

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page