SCOTTISH tennis ace Andy Murray’s Wimbledon victory was the biggest talking point for UK users of Facebook this year, according to the social network.
Grand Theft Auto V, the smash-hit video game developed in Edinburgh, also made Facebook’s list of the top ten topics for UK users.
The Scot’s dramatic grand slam win, ending Britain’s 77-year wait for a men’s singles champion, sparked more online interest than Baroness Thatcher’s death, the UEFA Champions League Final at Wembley, and the Duchess of Cambridge giving birth to Prince George.
Murray-mania was big in the UK but the most talked about topic worldwide in 2013 was the election of Pope Francis in May.
The death of Nelson Mandela on Thursday led to 55 million people interacting on the social network by the end of the next day, Facebook said.
The 10 most talked about Facebook topics in the UK
1) Andy Murray wins Wimbledon
2) Baroness Margaret Thatcher dies
3) Bayern Munich & Borussia Dortmund play Champions League Final at Wembley
4) The Duchess of Cambridge gives birth to Prince George
5) Sir Alex Ferguson steps down as manager of Manchester United
6) Videogame Call of Duty: Ghosts is released
7) England retain the Ashes in cricket
8) X-Factor returns to TV screens
9) The ‘Bedroom Tax’ is introduced in the UK
10) Grand Theft Auto 5 released