A MAN who suffered a suspected broken neck at a trampoline park is suing the operators for more than £100,000.
Chris McKenna was one of more than 100 people recorded as injured at Ryze in Dalkeith, Midlothian, within the first three weeks of its opening.
Lawyers for Mr McKenna are dealing with his complaint against the trampoline centre and the case could be lodged at the Court of Session before summer.
It is understood that around a dozen people who allege they suffered injuries at Ryze in January and February this year are pressing forward with personal injury claims.
The other cases typically involve injuries to backs, shoulders and ankles. Many of the claims are set to be heard in the Court of Session because the compensation claimed is in excess of £5,000.
It emerged on February 20 that Ryze staff had recorded 102 injuries to customers since it opened on January 23. It emerged a few days later that the facility had been operating without a licence.
Mr McKenna, 49, said he suffered excruciating pain and heard his neck crack after falling badly on a trampoline at Ryze.
Following the accident, he was put in a neck brace, unable to work and facing a possible operation to insert a metal plate in his neck.
The self-employed father of one claims he was asked to move off the trampoline despite having a neck injury. Ryze categorically deny the allegation and claim they have CCTV footage which proves otherwise.
Mr McKenna’s wife, Claire, 39, was eight months pregnant at the time of the accident. She said they would not be commenting but a source close to the case, who asked not to be identified, confirmed that Mr McKenna was pursuing a “six figure” sum.
Ryze has a large area of 60 connected trampolines and customers are allowed to bounce between them.
The facility re-opened to the public on Thursday after being closed for six weeks.
Midlothian Council has issued a licence to the facility with conditions limiting the maximum number of people on the trampoline to 125 at any one time. At least one trained first aider must be available at all times.
A spokesman for Digby Brown solicitors, which is representing some of those injured at the park, declined to comment on specific cases.
He said: “We’ve got around dozen cases we are investigating.
“We think the majority of these cases would be worth over £5,000 which would be heard at the Court of Session rather than the Sheriff Court.
“We’ve had injuries that are back and shoulder injuries, and ankles, right up to serious fractures and breaks.
“Some of them will be high four figures, high five figures in total. Some will be more like six figures.”
He added: “We haven’t evaluated all of the cases yet because we haven’t had all of the medical evidence back.”
A spokesman for Ryze said “We have yet to receive Mr McKenna’s claim, but we will vigorously defend it.
“We have CCTV footage on the incident and this conflicts with Mr McKenna’s version of events. It also shows that at no point did any member of staff attempt to move him.
“The overwhelming majority of customers have had a fun - and safe - experience.
“We are very clear at the point of admission that customers using our trampoline parks do so safely and responsibly, and are mindful of their own physical capabilities and limitations.
“All activity areas are supervised to ensure safe use, but jumpers also have a personal responsibility to follow our advice at all times.”
A spokeswoman for Midlothian Council said: “Ryze Edinburgh had an application for an indoor sports licence which I can confirm has now been determined and the appropriate licence granted.
“In addition to the standard conditions that apply to all Civic Government Scotland licences, additional specific conditions have been imposed. Ryze has co-operated fully with the council.”
SCOTSMAN TABLET AND MOBILE APPS