AS it’s Coeliac Awareness Week, nutritionist Christine Bailey has pulled together some great gluten-free recipes from Nairn’s. Visit www.nairns-oatcakes.com for even more recipes.
Chilli Crab Cakes
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Enough for 16 crab cakes
300g / 10oz white crab meat, drained
2 shallots, finely chopped
1/2 fresh red chilli, finely chopped
100g / 3 1/2 oz Nairn’s gluten-free oatcakes, finely ground
100g / 3 1/2 oz Nairn’s gluten-free oats
200g / 7oz low fat Greek yoghurt
1 egg, beaten
Handful of fresh coriander leaves, finely chopped
1/4 tsp smoked paprika
Grated zest and juice of 1 lime
1tsp sweet chilli sauce
Coating: 90g / 3oz Nairn’s gluten free oatcakes, finely ground
To cook: 1-2 tbsp olive oil or coconut butter
To serve: Sweet chilli sauce or tomato salsa, leafy green salad
1. Place the ingredients in a large bowl and mix together until thoroughly combined.
2. Place the oatcakes for the coating on a large plate and season with black pepper.
3. Shape the mixture into 14-16 little crab cakes. Dip each one in the oat crumbs then place on a tray and chill for 30 minutes.
4. Heat a little oil in a frying pan.
5. Cook the cakes in batches over a medium heat for 2-3 minutes on each side.
6. Repeat with the remaining cakes.
7. Alternatively, the crab cakes can be baked in the oven for 20-30 minutes at 200C, gas mark 6.
Mediterranean Nut and Vegetable Spread
Serves 6-8 – makes enough for topping 16-20 oatcakes
125g sunflower seeds, soaked for 1 hour or overnight
125g almonds soaked for 1 hour or overnight
1 tbsp fresh dill, chopped
1tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
1tbsp fresh basil, chopped
Juice and zest of 1/2 lemon
1tsp sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper
2 sticks celery, finely chopped
4 small gherkins, finely chopped
1/4 red onion, finely chopped
8 sun-dried tomatoes, drained and chopped, oatcakes to serve
1. Blend the seeds and almonds in a food processor until very fine. Add the rest of the ingredients and process until smooth.
2. Place a spoonful on to each oat cake to serve