These oat-based recipes were created for Nairn’s Oatcakes by the firm’s ambassador, nutritionist Christine Bailey
Trout Fillets With Sauce Vierge (serves 4-6)
2 hot smoked trout fillets, broken into large pieces
4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 shallot, chopped
1 medium tomato, seeds removed, diced
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp parsley, chopped
1 tbsp tarragon chopped
Salt and black pepper to taste
1. Place the hot smoked trout in a bowl
2. To make the sauce vierge briefly warm the olive oil in a small saucepan over a low heat. Add the shallot and sauté for a couple of minutes. Remove from the heat; add the tomato, lemon juice and balsamic vinegar.
3. Add the chopped parsley and tarragon and season to taste. Pour over the trout and toss lightly.
4. Spoon the trout on to oat cakes to serve.
Banana Oat Cupcakes With Streusel topping and Salted Caramel Drizzle
2 large eggs
100g coconut sugar or xylitol
100g coconut butter or vegan spread
1 large banana
100g gluten-free plain flour
50g gluten-free Nairn’s porridge oats
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
30g coconut sugar or xylitol
50g Nairn’s gluten-free porridge oats, ground up roughly in a food processor
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp melted coconut oil or vegan spread, melted
75g vegan spread
100g coconut sugar or brown sugar
2 tbsp thick coconut milk from the top part of a can of coconut milk
1 tsp course sea salt
Banana chips to decorate, optional
1. Preheat the oven to 180C, gas mark 4.
2. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with baking liners.
3. To make the topping in a bowl, combine the sugar, oats and cinnamon. Pour in the oil and mix in to form crumbs.
4. In a food processor beat together the eggs, sugar, oil and banana. Add the dry ingredients and beat lightly to combine.
5. Spoon the batter into the prepared cup cake tins until about three-quarters full. Sprinkle over a little of the oat topping.
6. Bake until golden and a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out dry, about 20 minutes; let them cool completely on a wire rack.
7. To make the caramel, put all the ingredients in a pan and bring to the boil. Simmer for 2-3 minutes. Allow to cool to thicken.
8. Drizzle the caramel over the cupcakes to serve. Top with a banana chip to decorate.