Recipe: Spicy poultry giblets salad | Grilled spicy salmon | Pudina Murgh Masala
Matin Khan from Itihaas in Dalkeith serves up this week’s treats.
Itihaas’ spicy poultry giblets salad for two
• Half kilo poultry giblets
• 1 teaspoon of dark soya sauce, garlic (crushed) and fresh ginger (finely chopped)
• Salt – to taste
• Half juice of lime
• Half teaspoon turmeric
• Half teaspoon cumin
• Pinch of black pepper
• 1 tablespoon of olive oil
• Three cloves of garlic (crushed).
• 3-4 bay leaves
• Rocket salad
• Sun-dried tomatoes
• 1 small red onion (sliced)
• 5 baby red radish (chopped)
• Small bunch coriander leaves (finely chopped)
• Wash the giblets in cold water very lightly. Let them drain.
• Marinate the giblets in a teaspoon of dark soya sauce, garlic and ginger paste. Add salt to taste, then half lime juice, half teaspoon of tumeric and half teaspoon of cumin powder, pinch of black pepper. Marinate and leave it in the fridge for 30 minutes. Use an iron pan if possible.
• Heat the pan and add one tablespoon of olive oil and three cloves of crushed garlic. Once the garlic has turned brown, add the bay leaves. Then add the giblets and cook for about two minutes on high heat and slow the gas for next five minutes, or until cooked.
• Serve on bed of rocket salad with sun-dried tomatoes, red onion and baby red radish and chopped coriander and enjoy.
Grilled spicy salmon - serves two
• Two skinless salmon fillets
• Juice of half a lime
• One tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
• Half teaspoon of tumeric powder
• One teaspoon of mild curry powder
• One small onion (finely sliced)
• Four cloves of fresh garlic (crushed)
• Pinch of cracked black pepper
• Salt to taste
• Pinch of cumin powder
• Mixed salad
• Cut the salmon into two inch pieces and place on a plate. Leave to one side.
• Add the lime juice, salt, black pepper and crushed garlic into a small bowl and stir all ingredients together with a small spoon to make a paste. Add the turmeric powder, mild curry powder and cumin and continue mixing together to make the paste.
• Massage the paste into the salmon fillets so that they are fully covered. Add olive oil on to the salmon and again massage this into the fillets.
• Place the marinated salmon fillets in the fridge for 30 minutes.
• Pre-heat grill to high and place the fillets on a grill tray and add the finely chopped onion on top and cook for approximately ten minutes. Serve with a bed of salad.
Pudina Murgh Masala - serves two
• Two skinless and boneless chicken breasts
• 1 large onion (finely chopped)
• 2 tomatoes (finely chopped)
• 1 small red pepper, de-seeded and finely chopped
• 2 bay leaves (chopped)
• 1 stick of cinnamon, broken into small pieces
• 5 pieces of cardamom
• 2 tablespoon of fresh mint leaves (finely chopped)
• 1 garlic clove (finely chopped)
• Half-inch ginger piece (peeled and finely chopped)
• 2 tablespoons of mustard oil
• Salt to taste
• 2 teaspoons of medium hot mixed curry powder
• 1 teaspoon of mild chilli powder
• 1 teaspoon garam masala
• Half teaspoon turmeric powder
• Small bunch of coriander leaves (finely chopped)
• Half tea cup of water
• Cut the chicken breast in small pieces and wash in cold water. Leave to drain.
• Place oil into a non-stick pan and heat on low heat for one minute. Add the chopped garlic and ginger to the oil and stir with a wooden spoon until it changes to a semi-brown colour.
• Add the finely chopped onion and red pepper and salt to taste. Stir with spoon and let it cook for a few minutes. Add half a cup of water, cardamom, cinnamon and bay leaves and cook until soft and stirring as required. Add the chicken and cook for approximately five minutes on low heat until the chicken changes colour.
• Add the tomatoes and cook until they become soft. Add the turmeric powder and stir with a wooden spoon. Add all the remaining spices and stir and cook on a low heat for 15 minutes.
• Once cooked, add the finely chopped fresh mint leaves and coriander and gently stir it in. Serve with boiled rice.
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Edinburgh
Wednesday 22 May 2013
Temperature: 3 C to 15 C
Wind Speed: 22 mph
Wind direction: West
Temperature: 5 C to 10 C
Wind Speed: 24 mph
Wind direction: North