SIX prisoners from Guantanamo Bay have been transferred to Uruguay, the US government has revealed.
The resettlement deal had been delayed for months by security concerns in the Pentagon and political considerations in the South American country.
The six are the first prisoners transferred to South America from the US base in Cuba, part of a flurry of recent releases amid a renewed push by US president Barack Obama to close the controversial facility.
Uruguayan president Jose Mujica agreed to accept the six men - four Syrians, a Tunisian and a Palestinian - as a humanitarian gesture and said they would be given help to establish themselves in a country with a small Muslim population.
All six were detained as suspected militants with ties to al Qaeda in 2002, but were never charged.
They have been cleared for release since at least 2010 but they could not be sent home, and have languished as the US struggled to find countries willing to accept them.
US State Department envoy Clifford Sloan said: “We are very grateful to Uruguay for this important humanitarian action, and to president Mujica for his strong leadership in providing a home for individuals who cannot return to their own countries.”
CONNECT WITH THE SCOTSMAN
• Subscribe to our daily newsletter (requires registration) and get the latest news, sport and business headlines delivered to your inbox every morning
Mr Mujica had agreed to take the men in January. US officials have been frustrated that the transfer took so long and blame outgoing defence secretary Chuck Hagel for not approving the move sooner.
They said the deal sat for months on Mr Hagel’s desk, awaiting his signature as required by law, but the Pentagon did not send the notification of the transfer to Congress until July.
By then, the transfer had become an issue in Uruguay’s political election and Uruguayan officials decided to postpone it until after the October 26 vote. Tabare Vazquez, a member of Mr Mujica’s ruling coalition and a former president, won a run-off election on November 30.
The men’s release brings the number of prisoners at Guantanamo to 136 - the lowest total since the first month the prison opened in January 2002.
Mr Obama pledged to close the prison upon taking office, but was blocked by Congress, which banned sending prisoners to the US for any reason, including trial, and placed restrictions on sending them abroad.
The restrictions on sending them overseas have been eased and the US has released 19 prisoners so far this year. Officials say several more releases are expected by the end of the year.
Prisoners have been sent to countries around the world but this is this largest to the Western Hemisphere. Four were sent to Bermuda in 2009 and two to El Salvador in 2012.
SCOTSMAN TABLET AND IPHONE APPS