Report-burning SNP councillors get two-month ban

Share this article
34
Have your say

FOUR SNP councillors filmed setting fire to a copy of the Smith Commission report on new powers for Holyrood have been suspended from the party for two months.

Filmed outside Renfrewshire Council offices in Paisley at the start of December, the YouTube clip shows former council leader Brian Lawson and councillors Will Mylet and Mags MacLaren with copies of the report on further devolution for the Scottish Parliament.

Brian Lawson, Will Mylet and Mags MacLaren pictured burning the Smith Commission report. Picture: YouTube

Brian Lawson, Will Mylet and Mags MacLaren pictured burning the Smith Commission report. Picture: YouTube

As they set fire to a copy above a bin, Mr Mylet said: “The Smith Commission report - this is exactly what we think about it.

“No real powers for Scotland yet again from Westminster. We’ve been lied to again.

“There you go Gordon Brown - cheers.”

The original video was taken down but has been reposted by others.

Kenny MacLaren, a councillor and researcher for SNP MSP Stuart McMillan, was also said to be involved, although he is not seen in the video clip.

All four were suspended by the SNP pending a disciplinary hearing on December 21. The party has now said the councillors have been suspended for two months, back dated to the start of December.

CONNECT WITH THE SCOTSMAN

Subscribe to our daily newsletter (requires registration) and get the latest news, sport and business headlines delivered to your inbox every morning

• You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Google +

SNP National Secretary Patrick Grady said: “Following a disciplinary hearing at the end of December, the individuals concerned have been suspended from the party for two months until February 3.

“It has been made clear to all that their actions fell far short of the high standard of debate expected by both public and party. All four accept that this is the case and their suspension has been the penalty for that.”

Opposition leaders in Scotland had been demanding action from the SNP in the wake of the incident.

At the time, First Minister Nicola Sturgeon said it was “not acceptable behaviour”.

The SNP had two representatives on the Smith Commission, which was set up by the UK Government to look at how to enhance the current devolved settlement, including Deputy First Minister John Swinney.

While nationalist leaders have said they believe the report does not go far enough, they have welcomed the new powers that should come to Scotland as a result of the deal.

When the online video clip emerged, Ms Sturgeon said: ‘’Many people are disappointed with the result of the referendum and the level of devolution recommended by the Smith Commission; however, Scotland will only make progress if we debate our views openly and with respect.

“It is essential that, in that debate, conduct does not fall short of the high standard that is rightly expected by the public. My clear view is that setting fire to something because you don’t agree with it is not acceptable behaviour.”

SEE ALSO

Tom Peterkin: SNP councillors’ bonfire of vanity

SCOTSMAN TABLET AND IPHONE APPS

• Download your free 30-day trial for our iPad, Android and Kindle apps

Keep up to date with all aspects of Scottish life with The Scotsman iPhone app, completely free to download and use

Back to the top of the page