Donald Trump promotes travel ban after London terror attacks

The US President offered support for the UK after the attacks. Picture: Getty
The US President offered support for the UK after the attacks. Picture: Getty
Share this article
24
Have your say

President Donald Trump argued in favour of his controversial travel ban as London authorities responded to reports of a string of attacks Saturday night.

READ MORE - London terror attacks: Three men shot dead after killing six

One tweet read: “We need to be smart, vigilant and tough. We need the courts to give us back our rights. We need the Travel Ban as an extra level of safety!”

Six people were killed and 48 were injured in attacks on London Bridge and at nearby Borough Market.

A white van has been reported to have deliberately swerved into a crowd of pedestrians on London Bridge.

The vehicle moved on to Borough Market, where three men were said to have left the van and began attacking members of the public. The three men were shot dead by armed police a short time later.

Trump began tweeting about the incidents an hour or so after initial news reports. First, he retweeted a Drudge Report item about the attacks, then provided his own message about the travel ban.

A few minutes later Trump tweeted a message of support for Londoners: “Whatever the United States can do to help out in London and the U. K., we will be there - WE ARE WITH YOU. GOD BLESS!”

Earlier this week, the Trump administration asked the Supreme Court to immediately reinstate its ban on travellers from six mostly Muslim countries and refugees from anywhere in the world. The administration argues that the US will be safer if the policy is put in place.

Lower courts have blocked the Trump policy, citing various reasons including statements Trump made during the 2016 campaign. The legal fight pits the president’s authority over immigration against what lower courts have said is a policy that purported to be about national security but was intended to target Muslims.

Trump later called Prime Minister Theresa May to offer condolences. The White House said the president “praised the heroic response of police and other first responders and offered the full support of the United States government in investigating and bringing those responsible for these heinous acts to justice.”

The State Department issued a statement condemning them as “cowardly.”

“The United States stands ready to provide any assistance authorities in the United Kingdom may request,” State Department spokeswoman Heather Nauert said.

“Our hearts are with the families and loved ones of the victims. We wish a full and quick recovery to those injured in the attacks. All Americans stand in solidarity with the people of the United Kingdom,” she said.

READ MORE - London terror attacks: What we know so far