DCSIMG

Navid the landlord falls foul of council

STILL Game star Sanjeev Kohli has been reprimanded by Glasgow Council following claims that he ran an unsafe property in the city's West End.

Mr Kohli, a comedy writer best known for his role as shopkeeper Navid in BBC2's Still Game, had his licence to run a property in Ruthven Street, off Byres Road, as a rented flat suspended for two years.

The suspension was issued after Mr Kohli, who owns and holds house of multiple occupancy (HMO) licences for seven properties in the West End of the city, failed to attend yesterday's meeting.

He was granted the licence for a flat in Ruthven Street in May, 2004, with the condition that he carry out works to make the property safe within four weeks.

An HMO licence is only issued if council and fire inspectors are satisfied the property is clean and safe.

But a year after Mr Kohli got the HMO for Ruthven Street, council officials had still not received confirmation that the work had been completed.

And although the work, believed to relate to fire alarms, has now been finished, Mr Kohli failed to attend to explain why it had taken 16 months to tell the council.

At the same meeting, his brother Randeep, a police officer in London, was issued with a warning about his conduct as a landlord.

Randeep Kohli's warning was for failing to respond to requests for information about his properties promptly enough.

Sanjeev Kohli, who is also appearing in Channel 4's Meet The Magoons, now has 28 days to appeal or reduce the number of tenants in the property to two.

If he is found to be ignoring the suspension after that time he will be reported to the procurator-fiscal.

Licensing convener, councillor Malcolm McLean, said: "There was no-one present to explain why issues had not been resolved. The committee had no alternative but to suspend the licence."

Council officials are understood to have concerns over management of several HMO flats owned by Kohli Properties, the West End-based management firm which looks after the family's properties.

In April, the council's HMO unit reported the firm to the Health and Safety Executive after three tenants were poisoned by carbon monoxide in a Hyndland flat owned by Randeep Kohli.

The women were taken to hospital following a gas leak.

In 2002 Sanjeev Kohli and his father Parduman were refused licences for five flats after inspectors found dirty and dangerous conditions.

A spokesman for Kohli Properties said they had no comment to make and Sanjeev Kohli was unavailable for comment.

The laws concerning HMO properties were tightened up in 2000 following the deaths of students James Fraser and Daniel Heron, who were killed in a flat in Glasgow's West End in 1999.

Landlords are now required to ensure that their properties fulfil strict criteria relating to fire and electrical safety.

 
 
 

Back to the top of the page