Naked man brandished cricket bat in Toys R Us

Przymeslaw Kaluzny at Dundee Court. Picture: Alan Richardson
Przymeslaw Kaluzny at Dundee Court. Picture: Alan Richardson
Share this article
0
Have your say

A MAN stripped naked in a busy toy store on Easter Sunday before abducting a six-year-old boy then attacking the child’s grandmother with a cricket bat, a court has heard.

Prezymyslaw Kaluzny has previously served a series of jail terms in his homeland of Poland for violent offences, including a four-and-a-half year sentence for robbery and 10 months for hostage taking.

On Easter Sunday this year, 5 April, he was living in Dundee and yesterday he admitted going on a rampage that court sources said “defied belief”.

Kaluzny first went to Dundee’s Toys ‘R Us store – then packed with young children with their families – at around 2:30pm while carrying a baseball bat.

The 41-year-old strolled into the shop before stripping completely naked. He then walked down an aisle shouting and brandishing the bat and struggling violently with customers.

Witnesses said he “ranted and raved” in Polish before launching his abduction bid and violent attack. Then Kaluzny grabbed a six-year-old boy by the arm and dragged him along the ground.

The boy’s grandmother, a 67-year-old woman, then intervened. But Kaluzny attacking her across the head with a cricket bat, leaving her injured.

He was finally wrestled to the floor of the store by staff and customers, who managed to hold him down until police arrived.

Witnesses described the rampage as “terrifying” and said Kalunzy had “wanted to cause carnage”. They said it took up to 20 men to finally pin him down.

Kaluzny was arrested and put into a police car to be driven to the city’s police HQ, around three miles away. During the journey he managed to snap the solid metal bar and plastic casing of the handcuffs he was wearing behind his back.

Fiscal depute Eilidh Robertson told Dundee Sheriff Court: “There is a DVD which captures the charges he has pled guilty to. The CCTV is of an extremely distressing and sensitive nature.”

Kaluzny, 41, presently detained at Murray Royal Hospital in Perth, pleaded guilty to a total of six charges.

Defence solicitor Nicola Brown said: “He has written what is a letter of apology, in essence. That is being translated and will be provided to the court.

“We are now satisfied that he his fit to give instructions and plead. He has never been in a position to do so previously.”

Sheriff Lorna Drummond QC imposed an interim compulsion order, meaning Kaluzny will be detained in a secure hospital unit to undergo treatment for a mental disorder ahead of a review hearing in December.

At that point the court will be shown the horrific CCTV footage of the attack and be given a full written narrative.